Twitter for iPhone v4.0 Is A Design & Functionality Clusterfuck
December 9, 2011
Posted by on
Twitter for iPhone
is was the most used app on my phone. In the last update they removed the search bar & now with today’s redesign ,they ruined it completely.
The choices make no sense:
- THEY KILLED “SWIPE TO REVEAL” !!! This was the only feature that was stopping me from buying Tweetbot when they kicked out the search bar. Why remove a feature as simple and as elegant as this? It now takes me more taps to perform essential actions.
- The font size is small & unadjustable.
- Squeezing the main pane. iPhones have a 3.5 inch screen, adding graphics at the cost of functionality is never a good idea.
- The obscenely big bar at the top with the twitter icon. It’s like the app is shouting at me “HEY, THIS IS TWITTER APP YOU’VE LAUNCHED. SEE THE BIRD? THATS THE TWITTER ICON. YEP” I opened the damn app, I know what it does. I would rather have a slightly larger font than all this bling.
- Thenavigation bar at the bottom is confusing. Stuff has been moved around , hidden & now must be hunted. Again, why?
- Saving links to Instapaper/Readitlater has become a chore. You must tap open the tweet, tap open the link, tap the icon at the bottom, select save. Four levels. When previously they did it with two, via ‘Swipe to reveal’. Unacceptable.
Twitter for iPhone was one of the best apps on iOS. Simple, clean, uncluttered & elegant. Now it’s a clunky mishmash.
What was the point of buying out Tweetie then? Twitter has removed everything that Tweetie had introduced [they pioneered swipe to reveal]
I guess it is time to move on…
Update: Bought Tweetbot at a discount. Love it.
Note: You cannot log out of the Twitter app as such. You have two options:
- Delete the app. [Tap & hold icon, tap on the ‘x’ when the icons jiggle]
- Go to iPhone settings> Twitter > select account > scroll down & ‘Delete Account’. This will affect the integrated sharing via Mobile Safari, Photos & any other twitter apps that use the login.Of course, you can always add your account again.
Switching accounts quickly: Swipe your finger right to left across the navigation bar at the bottom.
Accessing Direct Messages [DM] inbox quickly: Swipe your finger over the “Me” tab, upwards.