iPad 3 [Updated]
March 6, 2012
Posted by on
Name:The next iPad will be called ‘iPad 3’.
Not iPad HD or iPad HD+ or iPad superHD. Apple doesn’t do complicated. When the iPhone resolution was bumped up, Apple chose ‘Retina Display’ & has marketed the hell out of it. Why would it want to dilute this brand? This also sets it apart from the competition.
Home Button: Yes, there will be a home button.
Size/Cheaper Version: iPad 3 will be 9.7 inches, as before.
There will not be a smaller iPad to “compete” with Kindle Fire. The iPad 2 will get cheaper & attempt to snatch Fire’s customers.
- New processor (A5.5, not A6)
- 1Gb RAM (for the Retina Display apps)
- LTE: This is a toughie. 70% No, 30 % Yes. If the iPad 3 was scheduled to be announced in July-August then it would certainly carry LTE. As of now, I dont think so.
- Battery:Bigger, but will still give 10hrs (That brilliant display will need the juice)
- Camera: May get bumped up to units used in iPhone 4.
- Design: Same as before, slightly thicker to accommodate the bigger battery.
Spot on about everything except the LTE radio & the name. Apple trolled everybody by dropping the number! Expect the next iPhone to be just ‘iPhone’. In hindsight it makes sense…only the iPhone & iPad had numbers. Macs, iPods are all classified according to generation.1 Gb RAM should be confirmed once iFixit gets its hands on one .
To understand how badass that Retina Display is, click on the image below [via: MacRumors]
You can make a 42″ Full HD [1080p] TV with that resolution. And have 1 million pixels left over. And still get the whopping 10hr battery. For $500. Lemme know when the competition can match that.